Wednesday, June 29, 2011

24 hours in Kabul

So within 24 hours, I woke up to my friend telling me there was an attack on a hotel that was on CNN and I should probably tell people that I was safe but since she woke me up at 3 in the morning, I didnt know what she was talking about and Im pretty sure I told her to shut up. And then within a few hours of helicopters flying overhead, which after living in Baltimore I find oddly reassuring, everything was back to normal. Went into work, just like nothing had ever happened. Went to lunch with a bunch of the doctors who were teaching me Dari, the official language, which involves a lot of throat clearing. And since I have had a lot of phlegm induced by the fact that Afghanistan is trying to strangle me with air pollution, I was pretty good at it. And then after work, we went rug shopping wherein the proprietor gave me a 600 dollar rug for free on the promise that I would come back and pay for it in a couple weeks. And then after rug shopping, I went to a meeting with the Minister of Health to update her on the progress we are making in our study. No big deal. Just a normal day in Kabul.

No comments: