Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Nigeria

So some of you may know this and others don't, but I just got back from Nigeria.  I contemplated posting something while I was there, because when I am traveling that is usually the only time that I post things, but decided against it.  The reason being that if you didn't already know, you would have no reason to worry.  And if you did already know, I was emailing my mom to let her know that I was fine.

Why would you worry, you might ask?  Well, if you read the news or watch the news or just have general access to the media, you might have heard of ebola.  Which is running rampant in West Africa right now.  I mean according to the media, ebola is practically already here.  Outside your door.  Just waiting for you to open your door and walk right into a big cloud of ebola...

But here is the thing, its actually pretty hard to get ebola.  People are most contagious right before and right after they die.  So unless you are taking care of someone on the brink of death from hemorrhagic fever, or are taking care of someone right after, you aren't likely to get it.  Doesn't mean its impossible, of course, but its not airborne, you can't get it from mosquitos, and since I don't meat, I can't get it from undercooked meat.  And since I went with public health instead of direct patient care, I am also not getting it from actually helping people.  Gross.  Helping people...

Ebola is real and its an epidemic and the infrastructure of West Africa is not suitable to deal with it. Social customs and financial constraints are absolutely leading to a public health emergency (things like this certainly don't help ((https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/166257-ebola-sparks-panic-across-nigeria-as-citizens-scramble-for-salt-water-bath-remedy.html#sthash.Y1En3Jko.dpbs)).  But its important that it not be blown out of proportion so that fear mongering takes over.  There are congress people advocating for closing the borders to foreigners from West Africa (here is a tip to those semi-racist congress people... American residents who travel to West Africa can also carry the virus.  Letting them back in when you are excluding everyone else isn't really going to solve the problem).  Screening everyone, no matter their country of residence is probably a better way to go.  Isolating people suspected of having the disease is critical.  But the random dude next to you at the supermarket who coughs, probably doesn't have it.  Remain calm.

There can and should be more done to control the epidemic.  Most countries (and I dare say the US is one of them) is ill-equipped to handle the kind of emergency being faced by Liberia, Sierra Leone, Nigeria, and Guinea today.  Being educated, being compassionate, and being rational helps though.  Educating the public instead of frightening them might also help.  At the risk of sounding a little farther to the right than I am comfortable with, there is something to be said for being frustrated with the "lame stream" media (God.  I said it.  I hate myself a little bit).  Sensationalism doesn't help people.  Facts and objective reporting might.  Since it seemed rather unlikely that that philosophy would suddenly infiltrate the media while I was gone, I figured I would let you all know that I am safe and sound and healthy when I got back.  And not have you worry overmuch while I was gone.

And because no soap box speech is complete without some pictures, here are some pictures I took of my time in Nigeria.  Please note, there are no bodies or hazmat suits anywhere.  Just some pictures of my very talented Nigerian co-workers.  And some family planning advertisements we saw.  Yay!!!











No comments: