Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Venice at night

As you may or may not know, I am perilously close to finishing my doctorate.  Perilously because, as excited as I am to finish, it means that I am about to close one chapter in my life and face the whole rest of the unwritten novel.  Which is daunting.  But its also worthy of celebration.  And because I have the single greatest best friend in the whole world, she decided to get married just when I was finishing and to do it in style in Italy.  Was that really for me?  No, not at all, but still... great friend.  So here I am.  Celebrating two wondrous events with a two week vacation through Italy. And because my mother likes adventure and "wants to see Venice before [she] turns 66", she is adventuring with me.  But today it was just me.

I have to admit I was a little lame today.  I flew into Milan and then hopped a shuttle bus and a train to get to Venice.  While I am glad that I came first to Venice, I was too tired to try to take pictures of anything and when I got here, I crashed.  I am so envious of people that can survive on four hours of sleep.  That is not me.  I need eight.  Or at least six.  And when you are flying, even when you luck out and score the only seat on the plane without a neighbor and "sprawl" out on the luxuriousness of two seats, garnering mad-dog envy stares from everyone else around you, well, newflash, you still dont sleep that well. So when I got into Venice, I just crashed.  I mean, I took the public boat through the grand canal and wandered the streets for a while trying to find my hotel, but THEN I crashed.  I woke up in time to wander the streets at nightfall though and here are some of the photos I took.

Venice is a different city at night.  During the day, there are people EVERYWHERE.  Although as the waiter at the restaurant I ate tonight said, its nothing compared to high season.  I shudder.  But at night, its quiet.  The streets are empty, even the piazzas.  And its beautiful.  Venice is beautiful in the day too, at least from what I could see on the public taxi sitting next to the Spanish couple that argued for twenty minutes with the ticket collector about whether or not they should have to pay a fine for not purchasing the correct ticket (at least I think that is what they were arguing about since the ticket collector was arguing in Italian and the Spanish couple in Spanish and I was just trying to stare uncomfortably anywhere else because I was stuck right in the middle).  But what I could see was lovely.  It truly is a marvel of engineering.  You dont even realize that you are literally walking on water until all of a sudden the street you are on dead-ends into an alley of water.

Anyway, once I woke up, I took some pictures of Venice at night and here they are.  For those of you who might come in the future, follow Rick Steve's advice and take a break during part of one day, take a rest, and wander at night.  Totally worth it.  Plus you get to sleep.  Aces...







No comments: