Saturday, October 5, 2013

Warning...soapbox ahead

There is something terribly embarrassing about being in a foreign country, particularly in a place with conservative values, when Miley Cyrus’s “Wrecking Ball” video starts playing on the big screen tv.  For those of you who don’t know, it features the dubiously talented Miley Cyrus naked, riding a wrecking ball as it crashes into a wall, with obvious physical enjoyment.  And just in case that is too subtle, she also grabs a metal pipe and performs some suggestive oral actions.  But why is that embarrassing for me?  Its not like I would ever do that and maybe I shouldn’t be so prudish.  Except that when I am in a place where every white person is lumped together under the dubious category of forenge (foreigner), I might as well go out to find a building site because to most people Miley Cyrus and I are virtually indistinguishable.

We live in a world where the majority of people learn about America through its popular media.  Is it any wonder that when the image we peddle across the airwaves is a young naked girl dry-humping construction equipment, conservative leaders in other places can convince people that Americans are morally bankrupt, more concerned with sex, money, and consumption than thoughtful, deliberate living?  And that in times of economic and social instability, it is much easier to unite people under a banner of “us” against “them” than offer constructive solutions, especially when “them” seems to be a society that celebrates debauchery and turpitude?   Should we truly be surprised that there are some people out there who despise our culture?  Should I be truly surprised when men in other countries assume that all American women have loose sexual mores?  What else should they think based on what they see and hear?

I am not saying that this view is correct, nor am I saying that the exploration and acceptance of sexuality without shame is equivalent to immorality.  I think on the whole, most Americans are genuinely caring, earnest, and kind people, if somewhat naïve about the effect our economic and political processes have on the rest of the world.  I think that the ability to have open and honest conversations about sex, gender, and the celebration of pleasure are all incredibly important, and positive, aspects of American culture .  If anything, we should do more to lessen the restrictive morality around sex (hello, abstinence only education) within our country. 

But I don’t think that packaging up nude, nubile pop-starlets for mass consumption and shipping it overseas is really an effort to engage in that conversation.  Nor is it an attempt to show the rest of the world the good parts of America; that women are allowed to be the equals, if not superiors, of men; that we are becoming increasingly intolerant of racism and homophobia (at least I hope we are), that we are a culture that is made up of every country, allowing us to learn a little about the world just by talking to someone who grew up somewhere else.   But what I see when I am overseas is consumption, sexual gratification, and political ineptitude.  These are, tragically, as much a part of America as civil rights, social safety nets and religious tolerance, but we do ourselves a disservice by not insisting on not only portraying ourselves better, but also being better (apologies for all the double negatives).

Do I blame Miley Cyrus?  Of course not.  She is a victim of our obsession with pushing boundaries to raise advertising revenue, not an ingenious social commentator.  But maybe instead of celebrating the newest pop-tart’s sexual exploitation, we could just take a second and think about whether that is really the image we want for America?  Whether we want people to associate the USA with freedom, independence, open dialogue and equality or with sexually suggestive music videos and inept governments?  Because from where I am sitting, all I see is a lot of twerking and political grandstanding.  And it’s hard to prove that there is much else. 

I don’t have any sort of recipe about how to change things, but I think that it probably starts somewhere around trying to be better people instead of just trying to consume and exploit.  And maybe with electing leaders and not wing-nuts.  Instead of taking every criticism as a threat and every suggestion as an insult, maybe we could celebrate what is truly good about our country, while thinking critically about what we can do to improve it and ourselves.


I think I may have gotten off track somewhere so I am going to get off my soapbox now and be grateful there aren’t any construction sites around.

No comments: