Tuesday, October 7, 2008

How times have changed

As no doubt many of you learned from the classic Sandra Bullock film, 28 days, it takes 28 days to form a habit. With this in mind, I developed the brilliant plant to write in my journal every day for 28 days to get into the habit. So far, its pretty hit and miss. Today I decided that if I wrote an extensive entry then perhaps it would make up for my relative lack of commitment over the past week and a half. However, as it always happens when I try to overload myself on recording life, I got distracted. This time I started rereading my journal, which I started keeping upon my arrival in India (that was almost three years ago, an indication how little I write). I was amazed by some of the things that I wrote. Fresh off the plane I was shocked and full of pity for people who I imagined were so poor. Dont doubt it, the people who I pitied and mourned over were poor. But I realize now that pity is a useless and even harmful feeling. What does pity do but make the person I pity resentful and fill me with misplaced pride in my own emotions? Better empathy, better respect, better friendliness. Not pity. And I was shocked by the poverty, truly floored that people could live in such terrible conditions. But people had roofs, they had stoves, food, television. I am not trying to say that the villagers in India were living perfectly comfortable lives. I am sure that many were lacking comforts and that many would have loved more money and more comfort. I realize now however, that people were still happy, they were still content with what they had. It doesnt mean they cant want more or that they dont deserve a more equitable distribution of wealth, but it was fairly naive to assume that because people lived in cow dung huts (which is actually a very sanitary, sustainable, and insulating material) that they were unhappy and miserable.
Finally, it occurred to me what I dont feel necessary to put in my journal anymore. So much of what used to be shocking is now commonplace. So much of what used to elicit pity, elicits nothing. I dont mean to sound callous or worldly. It was simply interesting to me to reflect on how adaptable people are. Within only a few years and a few experiences, what was once so foreign to me is now no longer worth mentioning. In this time of transition and uncertainty, it is reassuring to remember that humans are incredibly adaptable creatures. We are able to change, accept, and learn in almost any situation. Its nice to think that maybe we can weather the crises that we are facing after all.

Also, I didnt feel it was necessary to write about the mouse in my house (although I have mentioned it here) the crazy thunderstorms, the constant stares, the banana cooked a thousand different ways, or the banana wine. All these things you kind of get used to too.

No comments: