Sunday, August 24, 2008

Hashing... but not the way youre thinking




Yesterday, I went with some of the other interns here, Jeri, Kate, Leigh, and Marta (I just realized their names are alphabetical) to an event called the hash. A hash, at least the way we did it yesterday, is an event where people meet at a bar and then run or walk a pre-marked course through the city and end at the same bar and then celebrate their athleticism by drinking beer. Although hashing is apparently a popular event the world over (there is a hash in Atlanta every week), this was my first time. Im not sure that I see much of a point to it as as legitimate sporting event or club, but it was a great hike and way to see the city. All in all, I think we walked about 3 to 5K through Kigali and saw some sights and neighborhoods that we probably would not have had a chance to see. And we gave the neighborhoods a chance to see a muzungu parade, something that I know they appreciated based on the laughs and number of children we acquired throughout our hike. And when I say hike i mean HIKE. I think that I have said that Kigali is built on a series of hills? Well these arent bluffs gently rising from the plains. These are straight up moutainous hills. And I mean straight up. At one point, we were scrambling up a hill covered in scrub, grabbing onto whatever bush or tree we could find and attempting not to slide back down to the bottom of the hill and do it all again. It wasnt dangerous, although there was a point where we were going one by one across a small ledge above someones yard. She was just standing in her doorway looking at us like we were crazy (not far from the truth). In fact, it was really fun and entirely exhausting. Although you wouldnt know that by the 5 year old, Ben, and 7 year old, Maurice, that came with us and kicked everyones butt. Ben was at one point hiking up hills holding his nose and demonstrating how he could constrict his breathing and then about ten minutes later sprinted to the end destination. He also decided that he wasnt dirty enough at some point and sat down to play in the dirt while we all caught up to him. I assure you, we were all plenty dirty enough. Finally, we got back to the bar and enjoyed some beers and much needed water and those of us who had never hashed before, including Marta, me, Jeri, and Leigh were officially inducted into the club. You see apparently you cant just show up to a hash. You have to be a member, a devotee. There was one man (I think he may have been INSANE) who apparently travels all over the world doing hashs. And accordingly, he has a sacred hash vessel (an orange plastic hat) that is the only thing out of which he will drink his beverages. And when you ask why he is drinking out of an orange plastic hat (a legitimate question I think) he only replies, why would you drink out of anything other than the sacred hash vessel? ...Right... This man later told Ben after he had touched the aforementioned vessel "When you walk with the big dogs, you have to piss in the tall grass". And then repeated it several times because Ben didnt understand. Can someone please explain it to me? Because I didnt want to ask this guy a legitimate question after the vessel incident and I certainly didnt want to ask what the hell he was talking about! Anyway, it was a great, dusty, exhausting day and one that will hopefully be repeated (hashs are every week and they follow a different course each time). Attached are some of the photos I took along the way. Scenic tour of Kigali!

No comments: