Saturday, July 14, 2007

Sorry its been so long

We started research two weeks ago, and actual work combined with power outages, means that I havent really had too much time to write.



So as I said, we started research the first week of July and have been been pretty constant in that. Im not sure that all of you know what I am researching so maybe I will explain it a little...
First background...
I am a firm believer that there are just too many people in the world and that overpopulation is a contributor to excessive poverty, mortality, and resource exploitation. But since I also dont believe in genocide or war, the solution to overpopulation, is controlled growth or even controlled shrinking of populations. Thus my neverending love for family planning and contraception.
What my research is on...
So this summer, I am working the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA). Like most UN organizations, its acronym doesnt actually match its official title. Its the UN. Why would it make sense? They are interested in the quality of health services that are being offered and I am interested in family planning. So combining these two things, I am researching the quality of family planning services that are being offered at IDP camps. This has also been expanded to return settlements, communities to where people are returning as peace talks continue. I am going to health facilities, intervieing health workers, and evaluating the facilities on measures of quality. I am also talking to communities and assessing their opinions of the family planning programs.


What I actually do...

NOTHING. I have two research assistants who do all the community interviews because most people dont speak English. Or if they do, it is still better if they answer in Luo, the local language because they are better able to express themselves. And Lacey does most of the health facility assessment because she spends more time at the health facility for her research on ante-natal care than I do. So I go to the communities, talk to the camp leaders, and then have Joy and Michael lead the discussions. OK during this time I do actually do some work. I usually find the health workers and interview them because they are able to speak English quite well. But we are in communities for two days, one day with females and one day with males, and interviewing health workers only takes one day. So, doing the math then, I am not doing anything most of the time. Which means that I am playing with kids most of the time. Kids LOVE white people here. At first it was kind of annoying, and sometimes it still is, but most of the time, it is fun to play with them. Sure I dont know what they are saying and they only know a little of what I am saying, but making funny faces and running around is pretty universal. And even though they only really want to play with me because I am white and not because we have any real basis for a friendship, I still really enjoy playing with them. Its fun to be able to amuse other people so easily. Lacey and Enrique are less enthusiastic about acting the fool and creating a somewhat tarnished image of white people but I think its fun to play with kids, so I dont mind. Why take yourself seriously?

So what has my research shown...

Nothing new really but it is still interesting. Im not sure what I can really say about it right now because we have a bunch of ridiculous rules about what we can and cannot say as interns at the UN. But I think that I can say, overall, people are receiveing poor quality service and thus, arent using the services at all. Which then contributes to high fertility, high maternal mortality, high poverty...and what and what...

So that is my research in a nutshell. Most days it is frustrating and tiresome. People dont really like to participate unless they are getting something for it, but since I cant afford to give them anything other than soda, I dont. Which means that sometimes, they are not forthcoming or useful. We had one group a few days ago where women just stopped talking after twenty minutes. And when we came back the next day, people told us that they had complained the day before because they thought that it was useless and a waste of time. So days like that, I usually come home and stare off my patio for a couple of hours and regroup. But other days, the research goes really well. One of our first groups, the women were really talkative. The older ladies were great in fact. One of them adopted me and said that she was going to build me a house in the community, find me a husband, and that I was going to stay there. And all the other ladies agreed to this plan, which was quite affirming. And I got to play with kids, which as I said before, is great. On days like that, I usually come home and stare off my patio, and think about how great life is. All together better.

So that is what I have been up to. Also, I have been to two ordinations for catholic fathers in the past week which are experiences unto themselves. Maybe I will write more on this later but I think that this is long enough as it is.

Finally, I have added more photos to that same link that I posted before should people be interested.

Love you all

Linnea (aka Lenny because people cant say my name right and i actually kind of like this bastardized version and Anyadwe which means daughter of the moon)

No comments: