Tuesday, June 5, 2007

To the north...

Well, ostensibly we are on our way to our duty station in Gulu town, Gulu distric tomorrow. It has been quite an adventure these past two days figuring out exactly what we are going to be doing. Our district sub office boss, Rachel, came into town on Sunday and we met for dinner. Over dinner and since, it has become increasingly clear that our research is, if not doomed, at least, severly challenged. Our work is supposed to take place in villages, not so many, maybe just three or four, but villages that we need to drive to. Do we have a car at our disposal? No. Do most of the people speak English. Maybe half. Do we have a translator? Sure if we pay for one. Do we have research assistance? See previous answer. So we will see what happens. But since neither Lacey nor I really suspected to get much data out of this summer, we arent too disapointed. If nothing else, we saw what the inner workings of a UN agency are like. (In case you are interested, a LOT of meetings. All the time)
In good news, I did get official approval from the school to go ahead with my research. Except that now, my "bosses" want me to ask people under the age of 18 about the family planning facilities. Anyone who knows the IRB process can guess how well that is going to go over. Gulp.
In other news, I am not sure what Gulu is going to be like. It seems that right now we are staying at quite a nice place, very cush relatively speaking. But we may not be able to stay there the whole time because UN security has to approve. So worry not father, I will have to stay somewhere that has passed one of the most stringent security checks in the world. Weeee. Really getting the full experience.
I did go shopping today and bought some postcards and other assorted items. I couldnt help it, I stumbled into a bookstore and just walked around in heaven for some time. Oh how I love bookstores.
As for other Ugandan news, the Uganda football team (soccer) beat the Nigerian team here in Kampala this past Saturday and it was quite the celebration. People were screaming and dancing and honking horns and just having a ridiculous time of it. And it wasnt like the world cup or anything. They didnt really win anything. It is just such a big deal here that any win (OK especially against Nigeria because they are sort of top dog) is cause for celebration. Quick side note, there was a riot outside of the Nigerian teams hotel of upset Nigerian fans. Football is pretty great. You have too just love the passion.
Well this is my last night here at the Holy Cross guesthouse and i really should go socialize. The priests here are very dear and have become quite good compadres over the last few days. I will try to remember to get at least a few pictures before i go.
So from Kampala, the cockroach carcass which still resides under my bed from an epic battle earlier this week and I wish you kindest and fondest regards...
Linnea

No comments: